Attraction in the Vendee.
from 1st to 30 june: the Sat and sundays from 14h à
From 15 july to 31 August:everyday except Monday from 14h to
Adult 4 €
Groups 3,5 €
The site of
L'hermenault castle has been inhabited since neolithic times.In 1003 a fortified
priory was built here and was annexed to the Bishops of Maillezais abbey. During
the 100 years war the priory was burnt down later the defense tower was
transformed into a pigeon house.
In 1513 Bishop d'Estissac the new bishop of
Maillezais built a Renescence castle on the site now only the large tower
remains. According to popular believe it was Rabelais his secretary who had the
Plaine Trees sent from Rome.
More damage was done during the wars of
Religion, the Bishop de Bethune finally restored the castle in the 17th
The property was purchased in 1806 by Pierre Godard de
Breuzes, colonel d'Empire and has remained in the same family ever
Rectangular park was arranged in the 17th and 18th centuries. 4 x 110 m long
grassed terraces decend to the Longeves river which is bordered by a semi
circular meadow. Overhanging the terraces is an impressive row of Plaine
A row of lime trees leads off into the woods
of note are the 17th century swimming pool for horses;
The 17th century
The 19th cenury watermill;
The Hydrau network of longeves,
The kitchen garden and the 17th century Barn.
The 17th century barn
constructed by Phillibert Delorme is the best example of a Bateau Barn in
western France. This colossal barn look like an upturned boat from the
Chateau de l'Hermenault.
in the Vendee