and Villages of the Vendee
inside the Loire Atlantique Department the border of the Vendee comes to the
very edge of town and this great fortified town played a central role in the War
of the Vendee, for as at that time the Department of the Vendee which was
created on 26th February 1790 was only 4 years old and most locals still
considered themselves as in Bas Poitou.
The castle and the town were torched
and ruined by the conflict in 1794 leaving only the market hall (a barracks for
the Republicans) and two river bridges.
After the conflicts were concluded
the town was rebuilt by the wealth Cacault brothers (from Nantes) and the
sculptor Francois-Frederic Lemot and his influence in particular has lead to the
Italian look and feel to the town, so much so that many of the business in the
area built there water-mills and dwellings in similar style.
Lemot bought the
ancient hunt de la Seigneurd de Clisson in 1805 and the chateau in
walks along the Sevre Nantais River both north into the Loire Atlantique or
south into the Vendee are well rewarded. Just a mile or so from town at Fouques
on the Vendee side of the river starts the "Chemin Vendee Vers Composte" which
was opened in 2004,and is the start of the walk way around the Vendee.
Near by is the Chapel Templar, founded by the Knights de Malta who succeeded the
Knights templar and at it time was remarked as being the finest chapel on this
area of France. Here at Fouques you will find the old wooden decked road bridge
that cross the river Sevre Nantais
confluence of the River Sevre Nantes and its tributary the river Moines lies the
picturesque town of Clisson with its roots in medieval history.
The town is
well severed by restaurants, bars and cafes and the tourist information office
by the town s old market hall was information not only on the town but on the
local wine route with wine on sale in their office.
The Medieval Market hall
is a network of old oak posts and beams held together by oak pegs.