and Villages of the Vendee
is just 7kms west of Pouzage on the boundary between the Lower and Haut Bocage,
it is a quiet town of narrow streets around the medieval Church.
which was built in the 12th century was fortified during the 15th century and
from the front looks to all purposes like a castle. The Fortifications were
necessary to protect the inhabitants of the town from attack.
was built in 3 stages; the first in the 12th century in the shape of the Latin
cross with a semi-circular choir was in the Romane style.
The second addition
was at the end of the 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century in the
middle of the 100 years War 1337-1458 when the fortifications were added to
protect the populace however it seems that they were never tested.
addition in the 19th century was to the north transit and reconstruction of the
choir in 1867 and then in 1890 the south transit was enlarged.
(round window in the facade had new stained glass windows added in 1926.
Tuesdays is market day.
the Name. A 10th century village exsisted here with a latin name of Alba Petra
which signifies 'pierre Blanc' (white stone) which contracted successively
to Aubepierre, la bepere onwards to Le Boupere.
noteable buildings in and around Le Boupere are the Manor house at La Daviere
which is 14th century as is the Chateau de