ęcopyright 2009.
Towns and Villages of the Vendee
Lucon is situated on the border of the Marais Poitevin and the prairie of Lucon-fontenay, it was once a sea port and was on the Roman road from Les Sables d,Olonne to Niort. The Alluvial deposits did not start silting up the gulf of Picton till the 10th century, the harbour in Lucon was in use until 1924 though this was only made possible by the draining of the marshes by the Benedictine monks and later the Dutch.
The town was plundered by the Normans in 846 and again in 853 by the Viking chief Hastings. Another Viking chief was recruited by the Count du Poitier to recapture the town and after a short siege Hastings negotiated a safe passage burning the town as he left.

The Cathedral of Lucon dominates the skyline for miles around, the spire at 85m high is the pinnacle of this great cathedral which is built in several styles on the site of a 12th century Romanesque church. Very little remains of the original church except the gable end of the north transept and part of the south transept. There is a gothic nave with two aisles,14th century Choir and a Renaissance chapel. The facade is 17th century by Toscane who also worked at St Michel en Herm and Fontenay le Comte. The three sided cloister  that joins the bishops palace to the cathedral is from the Renaissance period. The organ by Cavaille-coll was presented to the cathedral by Napoleon 111
Lucon habour pre 1924.
The cloister that joins the bishops palance to Lucon cathedral.
In 1871 M. dumaine gave the town an attractive park which can be found behind the Marie.
Lucon is ideally situated for discovering many of the attractions of the south and west Vendee including; the cote Luminiere, the marais poitevin, the Praire of Fontenay-lucon and the bocage, it has good communications both by road or rail.
The garden of Dumaine in Lucon.
Lucon is regarded as the spiritual capital of the Bas Poitou with the original monastery founded by St.Philbert in the V11e.
In 1317 Pope John XX11 decreed Lucon a Bishopric with a bishops palace and cathedral. The most famous bishop was Armand du Plessis who at 23 was appointed bishop in 1608, he declared Lucon "the vilest, muddiest and most unattractive bishopric in France” as the town had never recovered from the wars of religion. Armand du Plessis who later became Cardinal Richelieu and later still the 1st Minister under Louis X111 set about regenerating his diocese with the rebuilding of churches, the cathedral and his palace, he also founded a college and hospital in the town.

Today Lucon is a thriving country town with a population of 10,000. Its main industries are Agriculture, tourism and building mobile homes. There are numerous Restaurants, bars and cafes as well as shops and supermarkets and the town has a bustling yet relaxed atmosphere with a very French feel to it.
Cathedral of Lucon
Gites near Lucon
The Cloisters to the Catheral at Lucon.
Street scene Lucon
Gardens in Lucon