GITES WITH POOLS
©copyright www.gites-with-pools.co.uk 2007.
Towns and Villages of the Vendee
Celtic, 'olona' High above water. 4000BC there was a neolithic
civilization presence here and Menhirs have been found together with
over 200 cut and polished stone axis. The Havre (harbour) des Olonnes
gradually silted up over time with the Ile Vertime joining the mainland.
Due to the natural harbour this area was of great importance, the
Romans had a settlement here, where besides the natural harbour they
The town was invaded by Normans up till 911 when Olonne was included
into 'talmondais' and came under the control of the Count of Poitou,
Duc of Aquitaine who re-organized the area introducing the export of
local wine and salt to northern Europe.
With the marriage of Eleanor of Aquitaine to Henry11 the area came under English rule for half a century.
town of Olonne affords a delightful detour in this quiet and enchanting
area. The commune incompasses the Cote de Luminier and includes the
beaches of Le Sauvettier and Les Granges, the forest of over 1000ha of
pine and green oaks and the Marais-de-Olonne.
The church Notre dame de Olonne has exsisted since the 10th Century and
was burnt down twice during the religious wars and the wars of the
Vendee it was not re-roofed till 1805. It is most noted for its
beautifull stained glass windows
Chateau Pierre Levee has beautiful wrought iron gates and though
privately owned in the summer there is a scénographie which
portrays the history of the region.