and Villages of the Vendee
little village on the banks of the River Boulogne was inhabited since early
times, the Romans had a river crossing here and the old five arched bridge is
still in use today. The bridge has connections with the War of the Vendee, there
was fierce fighting here in 1793 and the final battle of this troubled period
ended all hostilities in June of 1815. The 19th century church also has
connections to the War with 10 Stained glassed windows portraying scenes from
village had once had a fortified chateau there are only part of the ramparts and
a ruined tower left.Around the Mairie are several interesting old buildings and
next to the old bridge the water mill has been converted into an elegant
This lower end of the village is overlooked by the huge
viaduct that takes the D937 around the village.
Renaissance Chateau de la Touche which overlooks the valley of the Boulogne, has
a perfusion of towers and pinnacle, though sadly today it is unoccupied and
falling into disrepair.
5km to the southwest in the Loire Atlantique
Department is the Chateau de Bois-Chevalier, built in 1655 it has survived the
the conflicts of the late 1790s even though it belonged to Royalist sympathisers
and General Charette was a regular visitor.
century Prieure of the Monks of St. Gildas is tucked away beside the cemetary
where members of the Ducs de Berry are to be found.
During July and August
the Museum des Arts and Traditions displays tools used in various traditional
There is a Market on the second Wednesday of the Month.